Visiting Peasholm Park, Scarborough.

15th July 2015crelgey

Peasholm Park, Scarborough.

‘Rated #6 in the UK’s Top Ten Parks by Trip Advisor Travellers Choice 2013 & 2014’

Peasholm Park, Scarborough.

In 1911, land was purchased by the borough with the intention of building a park around a lake. Statues were brought in from Killerby Hall, which is now known as Flamingo Land and plants were sourced and brought from the French Riviera.

It first opened its gates to the general public in June 1912 and has been popular ever since. Many fetes and galas were initially held at the park, so terraced seating was added to accommodate more visitors.

peasholm park scarborough

peasholm park scarborough

One question I hear from most people new to Peasholm Park and one, admittedly that I’ve asked, is ‘What’s with the Japanese theme?‘ When I decided to write about the park, I was hopeful that my research would answer that question. However, I am sad to report that I’m actually none the wiser on the actual reason why. Only that it was the brainchild of a very forward-thinking engineer.

peasholm park scarborough

There’s quite a bit more to the park than the lake and Japanese features. Upon walking halfway around the park you’re met by a valley and sea of greenery. Trees line part of the park that is known as Peasholm Glen. The Glen has a peaceful feel to it, with the trees offering some shade, meaning it’s quite cooling. This part of the park features many shallow ponds and waterfalls. I have many childhood memories of visiting with my grandfather and sailing his homemade remote-controlled ship in these pools.

As you walk around you’re sure to be greeted by many a grey squirrel and don’t be fooled, they’re tamer than you’d expect. Don’t forget to bring a bag of nuts when you visit.

peasholm park scarborough

The park has much to offer its visitors. There’s a small round of golf, boat rides around the lake in either a pedal-powered dragon or a more daring rowboat. If you wish to sit and enjoy the setting, the park has two cafes that offer light snacks, hot and cold drinks plus ice creams.

The summer season sees the return of the famous Naval Warfare events at the park, held every Saturday through July to the end of August. Brass and silver bands also take over the smaller island in the lake to play concerts to visitors throughout the season. I recommend visiting for both events, there’s nothing else like them around.

Find it: Peasholm Park, North Bay, Scarborough, YO12 7TR

Pin For Later.

Comments (11)

• New Girl in Toon

15th July 2015 at 12:29 pm

Oooh! I went there many many moons ago. We stumbled across it during a day trip when we were on holiday! I'd forgotten all about it xx

1. Caroline

1st August 2015 at 8:58 am

It's a lovely place to visit. A hidden gem, if you wish. 🙂 x

1. Eddie

14th January 2020 at 11:06 am

Me and the family are extremely lucky to be only a short walk from peasholm Park, we very often have a wander down through the Glen to feed the squirrels, my daughters love it, it’s great for a walk to get some fresh air too 😊.

• Lisa S

15th July 2015 at 6:34 pm

I used to go here as a kid! Not alone obvs, my parents took me. I can remember screaming at the loud bangs during one of the events! X

1. Caroline

1st August 2015 at 9:00 am

Haha! That would be the Navel Warfare show! We took our little boy at the weekend and he screamed a little.lol 🙂 x

• Kelly McKenny

18th July 2015 at 11:59 am

I really like Peasholme park, it's such a pretty place!

1. Caroline

1st August 2015 at 9:01 am

It is isn't it. I think with living near it, sometimes you don't appreciate it. But it is a favourite place to visit at the moment. 🙂 x

• Kloe Anya.

23rd July 2015 at 2:28 pm

I love this place! I love getting in the little peddle boats aha, we always went when we were little cause we'd always go on holiday to Scarborough! Aha.
    Kloe
    skullsandkisses.com xx

1. Caroline

1st August 2015 at 9:02 am

Haha! I haven't dared man the boats yet.. one year, maybe.lol x

• Kloe Anya.

23rd July 2015 at 2:29 pm

Kloe
    skullsandkisses.com xx

• Emma Wilcox

1st September 2015 at 7:12 pm

I had 2 holidays to Scarborough this year and never managed to get round to going here. I love it, tranquility at its best